I have thought about this for a long time – perhaps I should start making some YouTube videos. There have been many reasons as to why I have not done so already.
The list includes:
- A bad computer for recording.
- Lack of equipment (at the moment anyway).
- Lack of editing programs and software.
- Figuring out a target audience to cater to.
- Setting aside enough time and energy to develop my videos.
- The constant need of keeping content fresh and interesting, while also releasing videos at a good pace so people come back for more.
- Simply put, I am an extremely shy person in real life.
Basically, I have felt compelled for a long time to tell the world about myself, my interests, my personal struggles and whatnot, but I guess the fear of ridicule and embarrassment can be quite discouraging. On the other hand, I feel that I could easily create unique content that would be entertaining enough for some people to enjoy it, at least.
And it is not like I am completely new to making videos. Back in high school, I used to be the main editor for the school’s “student news program” where we aired a short episode every day about things like our varsity sports and announcing upcoming events/activities. I also did some light reporting from time to time as the No. 1 Asian reporter, but this is a different story. Though the editing program I used was quite basic, I got pretty good at putting together videos on the fly (I was easily the best at in class).
In addition, I realized back then that I had a natural knack for seeing things like video pacing, how to insert appropriate sound effects, how to align text for it to be easy to read … and so forth. It is honestly a shame I never tried to develop my video-editing skills any further.
Nonetheless, now that I have the funds to fund a possible attempt at treading the YouTube waters, I should really think long and hard about this matter.